What in the world are macros? Better yet, How can we shed light on this term that so many people didn’t know exists?
For the longest time I had no idea what it meant to “hit my macros”. I had no idea how important it really is to understand and meet your macros in a given day. The difference to those who do and don’t can be shocking.
As a common gym goer and nutritional enthusiast, I can assure you that understanding this idea of macros will take your fitness to the next level for various reasons.
Did you know that macros has to do with the way you eat? We’re going to discover just what are macros in diet. Is it something that can benefit everyone? Absolutely. That’s why everyone should understand it.
Follow along and I guarantee you’ll add hitting your macros to your fitness journey.
What Actually Are Macros?
When discovering what are macros in diet, you must understand three terms.
Macros is short for the term macronutrients. Macronutrients has to do with three of the main characteristics of food.
A macros diet simply means that you receive the proper intake of each of these three categories.
For example, if you are seeking to lose weight and eat at a calorie deficit. You will then eat at a calorie deficit while making sure your body takes in enough protein, carbs, and fats.
What are protein, carbs, and fats anyway?
Proteins are specifically responsible for maintaining AND building muscle mass. Many folks in the fitness world
believe protein is the most important macronutrient.
Carbs are the gas to your vehicle if you will. Carbs are responsible for fueling your body and aiding recover after workout. They also are proven to boost your mood and make you feel better in general.
Fats are a macronutrient that has the worst reputation. Often times people hear fats and assume it will make you fat! This is not true at all. Fats are extremely important to your body’s daily processes. It helps the body absorb nutrient, recover, is a source of energy and more. Your body definitely needs fats in your daily diet just to work correctly.
Are Hitting Your Macros Important for Everyone?
Making sure your body receives enough macronutrients is important for EVERYONE.
Let’s talk about two people with completely different goals.
My goal is to lose weight, whereas Aaron might have the goal to produce muscle mass.
1) For me, with the goal of losing weight, it is important to hit my macros for a few reasons.
- Carbs– First, I need to ensure my body stays healthy during my weight loss journey. Therefore, I must have enough carbs to fuel my body during cardio sessions and in simply doing my day to day activities.
- Protein– I want to have the proper protein intake because when losing weight, muscle mass is lost very easily. By eating enough protein I help my body maintain muscle mass the best I can. If you diet and don’t receive enough protein, you can often look frail and scrawny compared to someone who does.
- Fats– No matter what the goal, you HAVE to make sure your body is in taking fat. Like previously talked about, this macronutrient helps your body absorb important nutrients and vitamins needed daily. It also plays a role in fueling your body and making you feel good. Don’t skip out on this macronutrient.
2) For Aaron, who has the goal to produce muscle mass, there are huge benefits to hitting his macronutrients as well.
- Carbs– Aaron will need a very large intake of carbs because he needs to fuel intense and difficult workouts! His body will not be able to perform unless he has enough carbs. With the goal of gaining muscle, he needs these carbs to allow himself to have energy in the weight room.
- Protein– Aaron also will find it very important to receive enough protein! Many folks in the fitness world see this as one of the most important macronutrients because it helps stimulate muscle growth in cells! That is Aaron’s goal, to gain muscle mass! In order to do so, he absolutely needs to have a sufficient protein intake.
- Fats– And of course, Aaron will want to receive enough fats in his diet to balance his ability to take in nutrients, vitamins, and to help his recovery and fueling processes.
All things considered, you will discover that hitting your macros is for everyone, regardless of your goals.
It will help you become a better version of yourself.
How to Set Up your Macro Diet
Now that you’re educated on what are macros in diet, you’re ready to give this a go. Paired with the right exercise and calorie intake, hitting your macros is so important for meeting the goals you desire.
In order to discover how many grams of each macronutrient your body needs, I highly recommend you check out this macros calculator that does all the work for you. The source is very trusted and will help you take another step in the right direction.
After you discover what your macros are, ( mine are below), then it’s time to research what foods will help you meet this goal.
CARBS: 167 G PER DAY.
PROTEIN: 167 G PER DAY.
FATS: 37 G PER DAY.
I have so many recommendations for high protein foods and my favorite snacks to help me get carbs and fats. Comment below and let’s start a discussion. Also, please comment foods that help you meet your macros as well! Other will benefit.
Time to Give It a Try!
Okay guys and gals.
That’s a lot of information to take in. However, it is useful and necessary information as well.
Lets retrace what we covered so far.
Macronutrients are in all the food you eat. The three macronutrients are Protein, Carbs, and Fats.
Ensuring your body receives enough of these macronutrients has many health benefits and will help you meet your fitness goals in an efficient way.
To set up your macros diet, click the link provided here, (also above) and start your journey.
This is not a hard process and anyone can do it. It simply takes some research to discover what foods will help you reach your macro diet goals, and what foods you enjoy.
If you need any recommendations to find protein that fits your macros check my recent product review!
Best of luck and be sure to comment below if you need any help!
Founder of myshakercup.com
Thank you for the article, you are an inspiration to us all. Heres a great way I found to lose weight! I hope it helps some others! http://becomingskinny.com